Saturday, May 30, 2009

One Small Step

The anxiety I could live with. It's these phobias that creep up out of nowhere that seem to ruin my life. I am trying to change my perspective on that and realize that nothing is ruined by anxious moments. Like everything else, the anxiety will pass. So, two (of my many) irrational fears are riding as a passenger in someone else's car and riding in the backseat. Either one of these situations is enough to trigger those awful sensations...sweaty palms, racing heartbeat, the need to escape AT ANY COST....

Today I welcomed that anxiety into my life. I rode in the backseat of my husband's car while he drove us to Target. It may seem small to you, but to me it is just a sign of greater things to come. The best part of it all is that I didn't even feel a bit of anxiety. In fact, I giggled and laughed the ENTIRE ride. It felt so silly to be sitting in the backseat when a perfectly good passenger seat was unoccupied. It felt so silly that I let something so simple cause me such distress. It felt so silly that one little exercise helped me to see things in an entirely new light. Most importantly, it felt so good to laugh. To relax, have fun, and just enjoy the ride for once.

I caught sight of the girl I used to be. And so did my husband, if only for a minute.

Thanks so all my new blog friends for reaching out to me. Your kind words and encouragement mean soooooooo much to me!! I can't even begin to explain what a relief it is to feel a little less alone. I am going to write all of you back very soon, I promise. But for now, I am going to Home Depot and I think I might ride in the backseat again :) A girl could really get used to being chauffeured around...

Here's to small steps and new friends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment