Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Stars are Aligning

Do you ever have those moments when it just feels like everything is falling into place? I rarely do, but for the first time (in a long time) I feel like I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I am finally in a real treatment program for my anxiety. My doctors are as committed to me as I am to them. In the two short weeks since I sought treatment for my anxiety, I have decided to be open and honest with all my friends and family about what has been ailing me. Now people are coming out of the woodwork to seek me out for advice on how to cope with their anxiety. I've had not one, not two, but THREE friends confide in me about their anxiety issues. It's crazy, really, when you truly learn that you are not alone!!!

I also found this new television show on A&E called "Obsession." It's sort of like "Intervention," except they chronicle the lives of people suffering with anxiety disorders (OCD, panic disorder, hoarding, etc.) and then these people participate in an intense 12-week cognitive behavioral/exposure therapy program, which is EXACTLY like the program that I am participating in. So far, I have watched two episodes following a total of 4 people all of which are leading much happier, healthier lives are seeking treatment.

It's amazing what watching this has done for my confidence. Although watching them allow themselves to panic by facing their fears was enough to practically send me into full blown panic myself. It also excited me and gave me hope that if they can do it, I can do.

Two more days until my next treatment session and I think that this time we are really getting down to business. Secretly, I am looking forward to it....

Here's to the first glimmer of hope that I have felt in a very long time....

2 comments:

  1. SOOOO happy for you!!! It is comforting to hear people understand where you are coming from. I'm so excited for you on this journey!!!

    Thank you SOOO much for your email, and I do intend on writing you back when I have some down time at home (I'm at work right now being naughty on the computer).

    I see you are following me on your blogroll, thank you. I am certainly following you, I just haven't linked your site on mine b/c I'm still a little embarrased about my anxiety "issues" and don't want others to read what I write on here...silly I know! I also really need to blog a bit more, I've lost my blogging stamina!

    Well, I just hope and pray that your days get brighter and brighter and I'm SO looking forward to hearing about it!

    Blessings,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hat is off to you for your courage in dealing with this problem. My wife was younger than you when we met. She described herself as a worrywart then and she has only gotten much worse since then. 20+ years later her anxiety is wreaking havoc with our marriage and our children. I am about to give her an ultimatum to see a therapist or I have to leave her to save my sanity. How sad it is that it has come to this. Congratulations to you on your courage and self-awareness.

    ReplyDelete